Monday, November 14, 2016

Dear Parents,
I need your help with two things.  First, students really need to know basic addition and subtraction facts.  We pretty much have the addition under control.  However, many are not progressing on subtraction facts after three weeks.  Flash cards are great for practice and so is the Xtra Math.  I think some kids like to use fingers to count on, however they need to have many memorized and I should not see fingers after Christmas for simple facts. 

We will be adding and subtracting larger numbers very soon and if they don't the facts, it will slow them down greatly.  Also, this is a standard for the report card.

Also, I preach this every day:), trust me.  Many (truthfully, most) are not following directions on worksheets, even when I go over the directions with them before hand.  I've been calling them to my table to correct and this is coming to a stop.  If they don't follow directions I will be counting things wrong. It's a hard lesson to learn, but I think it may get their attention if you point it out on papers coming home.

I would appreciate your help and support.  I expect a lot, only because they are capable of great things!  

Thank you,
Mrs. Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment